That sucks.
However, because it lasts forever, it also seems to start at the appropriate time. I am really enjoying not freezing right now in Kentucky, but am finding it hard to get into my usual Christmas spirit with such nice weather. It gets plenty cool/cold here at night but we've had some 70 degree days last week which made it hard to think about Christmas(I know for you Christamas haters it doesn't come til after Thanksgiving but oh well, I like it after Halloween) when all of your life memories of the holiday are associated with piles of snow and winter coats. And scarves. And hats. And warm fires. You know, Holiday-ish things. Or cold weather things.
Also, to my disappointment I can't seem to find anywhere in Kentucky or Tennessee where they'll let me tromp through a National Forest and cut down my own Christmas tree. Usually Thanksgiving Weekend is the time for cutting down the tree. Naturally I would get a permit, as we've done for the last four years, but here it doesn't even matter, it can't be done. All they have are tree farms. This is what the website says -" Trees that are unsightly may be earmarked for use as wreath and decorative greenery." And for some stupid reason, I don't want buy a Christmas tree at a tree farm. It just seems wrong after getting to cut my own down for four years in the mountains. My indignation about the tree farm caused me to remember hearing some sappy story at church about three trees growing up in a forest together and the other two got picked to be Christmas trees and then I don't know what happened to the scrawny Charlie Brown tree; probably something poetic. Clearly I missed the point that day, and the fact that I don't remember the story doesn't really help my case either.

Mostly I feel bad for the ugly trees that gets made into wreathes.
3 comments:
So who wrote this? It sounds like Alicia in the 1st paragraph then John tromping in the next.
Funny. We miss you guys. Come on home to the FREEZING cold winter. I want to go on a cruise to somewhere warm!!!
Yeah I'm still waiting for our first snow here! I got a snow suit for Tanner yesterday so it better happen soon!
Hahah. I think it got turned into the manger or something...eh...poetic like that. One was the cross, another the fishing boat, and the other the manger. Yeah, I don't know. Whatever. I want a Christmas tree in my house right now, too. A real one. One I can smell.
Post a Comment